23 August 2006

A second look at my faith: A reflection on Bertrand Russell’s Why I Am Not A Christian

URL of the article: http://www.users.drew.edu/~jlenz/whynot.html


Bertrand Russell defined a Christian as a person who believes in:
1.) God and immortality,
2.) Christ, if not divine, at least the best and the wisest of men.

Bertrand Russell critiqued the existence of God, the arguments of God’s existence, the character of Christ and His teachings, the moral problem, emotional factor, how the Church regarded progress, fear as the foundation of religion and finally, cited what we must do.

Reading the article, we would start to question our own belief. What Bertrand Russell is asking is: why do we believe in the things that we believe. I ask have believe for so many years of the Christian teachings. Is it because I was taught from childhood what I should believe. Is because I was taught from the moment I entered school that there is a being greater than anyone else, which is God. [My school from pre-school to high school is also a Catholic school]

This article only strengthened what I feel about my religion. I am not an atheist but I question the way people believe in God. I have been asking if all the ceremonies are necessary, if all the teachings are true, the existence of God and so on. I was also asking how religion came to be. According to Bertrand Russell, it was because of fear that people started believing in God. People wanted to feel safe, to know that there is someone who is there to watch over them in a chaos filled world.

The Catholic Church teaches that it is alright to suffer in this world because those who suffer will be rewarded in the afterlife. But do we really if the teaching we were made to believe are all true? In Bertrand Russell’s conclusion, he said that what we need to do is face the world without terror. The fear we have of eternal damnation would not be of help to us. Bertrand Russell also said that we have to make the world the best we can, if we could not make it as good as we wish it to be.

picture:

No comments: